BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Week 7- My attendance to the Sunday Easter celebration in the United States


My attendance to the Easter Sunday
of The United States
Two years ago I had the privilege to visit my aunt’s house in the United States. It was so amazing for me to have the opportunity to travel to this famous and big country. I was 16 years old. I went with my grandmother and uncle to share a whole week with my aunt and cousins. Fortunately in this week there was a very important celebration which was the Easter Sunday. In the 2008 this day was celebrating on March, 23. I had the chance to know more about the activities of the people in this day. Compared to our country Costa Rica; The United States’ people have different customs and rituals for celebrating the holy week. At the end of this essay of my attendance to the Easter Sunday you will understand why.

That day on March, 23 when I woke up, I saw how my aunt as well as my cousins was sit together painting and decorating eggs with colored colors. After they done with the eggs; they took me with them around the neighborhood. They began sharing to their friends some chocolates eggs that they had bought before. Inside the other houses I saw how there were family members and friends decorating and sharing eggs too. But there was something that strongly drew my attention. The parents were hiding some of the eggs around the house, and then the children had to find them. They were having a lot of fun as a family. This activity is named Easter eggs hunt. It was really nice to see this type of closeness between family members. It even makes a few tears escaped from my eyes.

Then hours later I saw most of the Christians from the neighborhood going together to mass. My aunt told me that for the Easter Sunday many churches hold special services, which are to celebrate the Jesus Christ's resurrection after his crucifixion. That is why they went to church. Afterward she told me that most of the churches also prepare eggs hunts for make the children have some fun after mass. I saw it as a very cool idea.

It was really great for me to have the opportunity to see the customs of the Easter Sunday in the United States. There was a lot of union among relatives and friends. It was very cute to saw and learned about this important event. Regardless of the hunt and eggs sharing; The Easter Sunday is a celebration to share with love, company, and reflection. I would like to be there next year to appreciate and this time participate more in the Easter Sunday’s activities.



Annex:
Background of the Eater Sunday

In Pagan times, many groups of people organized spring festivals. Many of these celebrated the re-birth of nature, the return the land to fertility and the birth of many young animals. These are the origins of the Easter eggs that we still hunt for and eat.
In Christian times, the spring began to be associated with Jesus Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. The crucifixion is remembered on Good Friday and the resurrection is remembered on Easter Sunday. The idea of the resurrection joined with the ideas of re-birth in Pagan beliefs.

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/easter-sunday


0 comentarios: